The Canmore Opera House was built as a band hall in 1898, its logs cut
from the slopes of Ha-Ling Peak.
During its heyday in the early 1900s, the Opera House was one of the town’s
most important gathering places – a location where residents and visitors could
come together for concerts, plays and lavish dances as well as more modest
events like whist drives and mine-sponsored Christmas parties. Far and away,
it was the most popular place for entertainment in the Canadian Rockies…and
it was the epicentre of community spirit in Canmore.
While the original Canmore Opera House has spent the past 53 years in
Calgary’s Heritage Park, developer Frank Kernick has built a replica in
Spring Creek as a gathering and event space for neighbourhood residents
and the broader community.
More than anything else, Spring Creek’s Opera House is a versatile space
for Spring Creekers to socialize, connect and enjoy mutual interests.
The space accommodates a vast variety of events certain to strengthen the
sense of community that already exists in this vibrant neighbourhood at
the heart of downtown Canmore.
And to strengthen Spring Creek’s ties to the town of Canmore, the Opera House
will have scheduled times available for viewing as a point of historical interest
and a range of rates for facility rentals by other groups and organizations.
For more information, please send an email to:
Or call: 403.678.6828
Canmore Opera House
400 Spring Creek Drive
Canmore, AB T1W 0C8
- 27’ W x 56’ L – 1512 sq. ft. main level
- Stage: 24” H x 10’ deep x 27’ W
- 120 Chairs
- 10 Round tables
- 4 Rectangle tables
- Sound booth with speakers – easy to play music through an Iphone or Ipod
- Large screen & projector
- Wireless Internet
- Bar area – with fridge, dishwasher & ice well
- Downstairs servery with fridge, microwave & sink
- Men’s washrooms – 2 stalls
- Women’s washroom – 3 stalls
- Downstairs meeting room
- Air conditioning
Main Floor Capacity:
- Standing only – 109 persons
- Theater Style / Row Seating – 100 persons
- Reception Function (10 round tables with buffet set up) – 80 person
Hours of Operation: 7:00 am to 10:00 pm, 7 days a week